Pages

Thursday, September 18, 2014

It's been a tough year. June 5 My Mom (Violet Thompson) passed away while I and some of my siblings were sitting with her in a hospital room. I had promised her when that day came I wouldn't leave her side, and I didn't. We tried to sing "Uncloudy Day" but through the tears we couldn't. So I used my phone and played the song that I had recorded for her a couple of years ago as she quietly breathed her last breath. I had also promised her that I would do her funeral. With the help of God, I was able to do that too. Those who know me know that I am an emotional person, in other words, a crybaby. I mean, I cry watching extreme home makeover or any sad movie. So, how can a 6'2" 258 lbs football coach, tough guy, be such a soft hearted person? I don't know! I just am. And furthermore, how can such a crybaby stand up in front of family and friends and share about the one who brought me into this world without breaking down? This I do know. The one thing my Momma did that changed my life at the age of 14 was.....She let me go. I was struggling at a new school, I had just been cut from the school basketball team, I was hanging out with the wrong crowd, I was still hurting over the divorce that had happened the year before. I was a mess. I needed a change, and as tough as it was, she loved me enough to let me go live with my grandparents 10 miles away. Soon after, at the Kellysville Church of God, with Youth Evangelist Jesse Farley speaking on youth day, I walked down the isle and gave my heart to Christ. That moment my world and my eternity changed forever. I still had difficult times, still made some bad decisions, but I knew a God of mercy and grace that would be by my side each step of my life journey. The strength and courage I needed each day to survive, came from a relationship with Jesus. So, here I am 42 yrs later, writing a blog, explaining how a crybaby can stand and deliver a message at his Momma's funeral. It's only by the strength and the presence of God in my life and the comfort of knowing Momma was right with God and that I would see her again in Heaven that gave me what I needed to do what I had promised her. We as a family just recently celebrated the homegoing of Uncle Corky (Mom's brother), and Aunt Becky (Mom's sister). The Walker reunion will never be the same here on earth, but it's just getting cranked up in Heaven. Be strong family, we can do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment